Bhopal, Aug 17 (IANS) Five people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 17-year-old boy whose body was recovered from Chhota Talab in Bhopal last week, days after he went missing, police said on Monday.
The teenager, who was missing from the Iqbal Maidan area on August 6, was found in Chhota Talab on August 11 and was identified by his family on August 14 based on his clothes and slippers.
The post-mortem examination confirmed that the boy had been murdered and also revealed injuries to his private parts, following which police launched a detailed investigation into the circumstances surrounding the killing.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police, Bhopal Zone-3, Shailendra Singh, said information was received regarding the recovery of a dead body in the Zone-3 area. The body was sent for post-mortem examination, and the report confirmed it was a case of murder, noting injuries to the private parts of the deceased.
Following the post-mortem report, police registered a case at the concerned police station and began investigating the murder. Police questioned several suspects during the probe and have so far arrested five accused persons.
Police are questioning the arrested accused and examining evidence to determine their individual roles in the crime. Efforts are also underway to arrest the remaining suspects. Singh said police have arrested five accused so far, and further arrests are expected within the next one to two days.
He added that further investigation is in progress and appropriate legal action is being taken.
The motive behind the murder has not yet been officially established. Investigators are also examining the injuries reported in the post-mortem and their possible connection with the circumstances of the killing.
Police have not confirmed reports of an alleged Rs 2 crore financial motive or claims that a body part was removed for an alleged plan to send it abroad. Officials are verifying all such claims as part of the investigation.
Investigators are also examining a separate complaint by another 17-year-old boy, who has alleged that an attempt was made to kill him, to determine whether the two incidents are connected.
Police have appealed to the public not to pay heed to rumours surrounding the case and urged people to cooperate with the investigation.
Further arrests are expected as police continue to collect evidence and establish the sequence of events leading to the teenager’s death.
--IANS
pd/dan





